Kenmuir Church in Mount Vernon
Early History Mount Vernon
In 1742 a Glasgow merchant named Robert Boyd purchased the 'Old Extent of
Windyedge' and renamed it Mount Vernon, in honour of Admiral Edward Vernon
of the Royal Navy who was famous at that time for his expedition against the
Another Glasgow merchant, George Buchanan whose family had extensive interests
in tobacco trade purchased the land in 1758.
In 1877 there was no established church catering for the Spititual needs of the
area, the nearest chuches being in Baillieston, Shettleston and Cambuslang.
Employment in the area of Mount Vernon consisted mainly of coal mining or
iron working - not a very affluent or promising location in which to build a
new church. This would require extensive funding that in turn would place a
huge finacial burden on relatively poorly paid manual labourers. But, with
God, all things are possible, and the Spiritual needs of the people of Mount
Vernon and surrounding villages far outweighed their materialistic needs and so
a committee was formed to look into the possibility of raising funds to build a
The committee's efforts to raise money to built the church were somewhat set back
because of the nations financial crisis. So things were put on hold for a time.
In 1881 the first Minister of Kenmuir Mount Vernon was appointed by Hamilton
Prebytery - the Rev J.C. Hutton
- in the Parish of Old Monklands
to meet the spitritual needs of 2000 souls resident in the villages of:
Clyde Iron Works
With the appointment of a full-time minister. the building committee was
quick to resurrect the plans to build a new church. The cost was estimated to
be £3,000 for a 540 'Sitter' church (equivalent to approximately £330,000 in 2016)..
The committee secured the following sponsors:
- The Church of Scotland 'Home Mission' made a maximum grant of 15/-
(that is 15 shilligs or 75 pence in today's currency) per sitter
amounting to the grand sum of £405.00
- The Baird Trust agreed to award the maximum possible grant under their
constitution of £750.00
- The Ferguson Bequest Trust (an non-denominational body) agreed to make a
the maximum grant of £250.00 under their constitition, but this award
was conditional on the fledgling church being debt free within 10 years
from the date of completion of the build otherwise this sum would be
required to be returned to the Trust.
However, generous as these grants were, the poor people of Mount Vernon would
need to raise an additional £1,600 (approximately £175,000 in 2016). Trusting
in the providence of Almighty God, the committee decided to go ahead, and in
faith and with fervent prayer, the Church sanctuary was built as a 'Chapel of
Ease'. It was elevated to become a quoad sacra'
parish and named Kenmuir
Church of Scotland Quoad sacra'
meant that the parish was established
only for eclesiastical purposes. In 1932 the Church was renamed as Kenmuir
Mount Vernon, emphasising the growing importance of Mount Vernon at that time.
The Memorial Stone was laid on 30 September 1882 by Rev P. Cameron Black, In the
same year that William Alexander Smith (later Sir William) on 4th October 1883
founded the Boys' Brigade (which was the first uniformed organisation for boys
in the world), the building of the sanctuary was completed, but being 10% over
budget, the total cost was now £3,300. As the promised grants from the two Trusts
did not fully cover the costs of all the building work, the good people of Mount
Vernon had to 'dig deep' and give enough to fund the on-going building and
interest costs to enable the church to pay contractors and purchase materials -
and this they did for a period of 9 years raising a total of £1,440.00. As they
were £455 short, a special appeal for an additional £460.00 was launched that not
only involved the congregation (at that time 244 subscribing members) but also
the local community and other churches in the Presbytery. By God's Grace, this
appeal was successful, and by 1892 the church was debt free. Thus the condition
attached to the Ferguson Trust grant was fulfilled and so all grants were fully
paid as promised and were gratefully and thankfully received.
By God's Grace, the congregstion's sacrificial giving continuded.beyond the
build of the Sanctuary because the church Elders and Managers identified that
not only was a Manse needed but also a Hall to accommodate the Boys' Brigade
company (that was already flourishing) and the many other Church activities.that
were on-going at that time.
The current Church Hall adjacent to Kenmuir Mount Vernon church was opened and
dedicated on Wednesday 20th January 1937 by the
the Very Rev. Prof. D Lamont, D.D.
and chaired by the incumbant minister the Rev. N. Munro Murray, M.A.
Ministers of Kenmuir Mount Vernon Church
|Rev J.C. Hutton||(1897-1909)||Pastor 1882-1897 then inducted as First Minister appointed by Hamilton Presbytery in 1897|
|Rev George Alexander Stalker B.D.||(1910-1926)|
|No Image Available||Rev R. Laurie Kilgour M.A.||(1926-1931)|
|No Image Available||Rev Munro Murray M.A.||(1932-1947)|
|Rev William Martin M.A.||(1947-1973)|
|Rev H. Marshall Gibson M.A., B.D.||(1974-1982)|
|Rev James M. Davies B.Sc., B.D.||(1982-1998)|
|Rev Bruce McDowall B.A., B.D.||(1999-2001)||Now Minister Park United Free Church of Scotland, Uddingston|
|Rev Murdo Maclean B.D.||(2001-Date)||The current minister - Another evangelical preacher. Murdo was called to Kenmuir Mount Vernon Church from the Tron Church in Glasgow where he was ...|
Kenmuir Mount Vernon Images
The building of the new Kenmuir's church was completed in 1883 and officially
dedicated to the worship of God that same year.
Having just been able to clear all the Church debts by 1893 there was an additional
stipulation that the Chapel that was erected should become a Quoad Sacra
Parish Church. But this required that the church be raised to the status of an
Territorial Church again threatening the conditions of the
Grants already received. Accordingly, the church organised a Bazaar in the Trades
Hall in Glassford Street on 21st, 22nd and 23rd December 1893. The entry fee was
1/- (1 shilling) on the first day and 6d (6 pence) on the latter two days.
A few months after the Bazzar, a Sale of Work was organised for Saturday 10th March
1894 from 3pm to 10pm. 7 Hours for a Sale of Work on a Saturday afternoon and
evening - it must have been some sale!
Thursday 10th November 1898 - an evening Sacred Concert! Not cheap with
tickets priced at 2/-, 1/- and 6d each but what a concert that must have
been with orchestra, choir, and soloists on piano, violin and cornet.
An interesting historical point is that there were carriages at 10pm to
take parishiners home - how posh is that?
We see from this poster that two Special Services of thanksgiving, to
celebrate the re-opening of Kenmuir Mount Vernon church were held on the
Sabbath day, 19th August - but in what year? There is no ndication.
Free-hand sketch of Kenmuir Mount Vernon church
External view of Kenmuir Mount Vernon church
Ariel (Google) view of Kenmuir Mount Vernon church
In 1983 the church celebrated its centenary with the restoration of the
South facing stained glass window (at the rear of the church overooking
Centenary Guests - Year 1983 - from left to right
Hamilton Presbytery Representative, Rev William Martin (retired 1973), Rev Angus T Stewart (Glasgow Presbytery),
Rev James Davies, Moderator (General Assembly), Rev Marshall Gibson
Members of Session - Year 1983 - from left to right, Back Row then Front Row
Jack Dalrymple, Tom Hamilton, Jim Haig, Bill Jack, Dick McLaren, John Buchanan, John Patrick
Martin Boyd, Danny Cree, Rev Jim Davies, John Smith, Ronald Sutherland (Seeion Clerk)
The following are internal views of the restored South facing stained glass
windows in Kenmuir Mount Vernon church taken in the centerary year 1983
View of the South facing Stained Glass Windows (at rear of Sanctuary)
View from pulpit towards the South facing Stained Glass windows (at back of the Sanctuary)
Circular South facing Stained Glass Window (at rear of Sanctuary)
Detail view of the 3 South facing Stained Glass Windows (at rear of Sanctuary)
View of South facing Stained Glass windows at rear of Sanctuary from Pulpit
The following are internal views of Pulpit, Communion Table and Prpe Organ in Kenmuir Mount
Vernon church as viewed from the pews (photos circa 1983)
The magnificent central pulpit at front of the Sanctuary
View of Organ Pipes above the pulpit at front of the Sanctuary
If you have problems navigating this website, or encounter any other dificulties, please e-mail
with comments and/ or suggestions. Constructive criticism is always welcome.
< Home Page
< Carmyle History
< Site Map